My name is Stephanie. And I’m addicted to essential oils. I don’t ever plan on being “sober.” Before trying essential oils, I thought they were only for true hippies that had given up on bathing, and instead chose to use oils to cover the stench. My husband assumed they were for witch doctors and voodoo people. What made me change my mind and give them a try was almost a year straight of never ending illness in our house. You name it, we somehow caught it.
At the time, my son had started public school and my daughter was new to the church nursery. Translation: my kids were bringing home all sorts of “yummy” germs. Another plague in our house was my daughter’s eczema and skin problems. At least once a week we had to use strong steroid creams to keep her eczema under control. That’s when I decided to find a more natural approach to healing and wellness.
We have been able to transform our health, and it feels good knowing I have a natural alternative to harsh medicines that were once my go to. On this journey to a more healthy and natural lifestyle (with the exception of my Dr. Pepper-no way am I giving that up…), I have learned a lot. Here are a few basics that are great to know when giving essential oils a try.
- Essential oils alone will not magically transform your health to that of Superman, or your body to Heidi Klum (someone please find an oil for that!) Oils are meant to be used in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle. They also do not replace good medical care, rather they can work together to promote a natural way of healing in the home.
- YOU are your best teacher. Educate yourself and be informed on how to use oils properly and safely. Just like you would do your homework before trying a new medical treatment, you should do the same when it comes to oils. There are some great studies out there showing their safety and efficacy.
- Less is more and a little goes a long way. When using the right oils, you can see amazing results from using a very small amount.
- Not all oils are created equal. Just because a random bottle in the grocery isle says pure doesn’t mean it is 100% pure essential oils with no fillers. Make sure you are using a legitimate company. HOW and WHERE companies harvest plants to make their oils is important. I don’t want to buy peppermint that’s grown in some Hannibal Lecter’s back yard.
- Be consistent. Consistency is key. I use oils on a daily basis for various needs and in different ways (topically, aromatically, inhaling). When I am not as consistent I notice a big difference in how I rest at night, my energy level and overall wellbeing.
My only regret with essential oils is that no one introduced them to me sooner! Looking back on when I had new babies, raging hormones, and kids that loved being awake at night, I wish I had had a natural alternative to turn to for help. So if you’re on the fence about whether essential oils are for you, try them! They have been life changing for my family. Before you know it, you will catch yourself saying “ I have an oil for that!”